One look at tastemaker Alexis Atarian’s Instagram feed and you’ll fall in love with her aesthetic. See her smiling with her three adorable children, take in the laidback landscape of southwestern California. Get inspired by one of her delicious recipes. We spy good vibes in every picture.
Alexis is a true #Originator. It’s no surprise that we love her style, as she’s made a career out of mastering the art of getting dressed. She currently works as a freelance fashion stylist, and reminds anyone going through a fashion rut not to forget your personality when getting dressed.
Get to know more about originator, Alexis, through Q+A with her below.
Get Alexis’ look with our MARGERET sneaker in Natural.
KE: You have an awesome career as a freelance fashion stylist, and we can see why people seek your help in putting together looks. What’s it like being your own boss?
AA: Honestly it’s kind of funny, because I don’t really think of myself that way. I’m just a wife and mother that really enjoys sharing my love of fashion with others when I can. However, the best thing about being a freelancer I’ve found, is being able to “make my own schedule”, which is crucial in this season of my life.
We’re on the verge of warmer days here in the northeast. What’s one transitional dressing tip you’d give those of us struggling to dress during this strange winter-meets-spring time?
This may seem like a cliche’ tip, but if it isn’t broken don’t fix it! Layer warm weather pieces with cold weather pieces(i.e. A thin turtleneck under a sleeveless dress, or throw some fun socks under a pair of platform sandals to keep the toes warm). By doing this you can easily elevate a look while also making the most of your wardrobe.
What does a signature “Alexis” look consist of and how does it represent you as a person?
My personal style is always changing, which is a reflection of how I’m constantly being inspired! Right now I’m loving mixing minimal pieces with fun statement pieces, like a simple linen dress with a fun yellow scarf and funky straw hat.
At Kork-Ease we love the ‘70s trend, and we’re so pumped it’s happening in a big way right now. Can you name five items ideal for tackling the ‘70s trend in a modern way?
- Bell bottoms with a bell sleeve blouse may be a bit much for some and high fashion for others, but for the everyday, pairing some high waist flares with a crisp white button down or a favorite tee would make the look more modern.
- Bandanas used to be worn tied around the forehead with peace signs all over them, but now there are so many great ways to use a scarf in place of your favorite necklace! A quick trip to Pinterest will give you plenty of options.
- I think we’re all super excited about the return of the “Mule”. Just slip it on and go! These can easily be paired with a tee and cropped denim, or dressed up with a favorite dress.
- Now that it’s spring we can completely embrace our inner flower child! The 70’s is known for its bold patterns and beautiful florals, and so now is the perfect time to grab that floral maxi dress!
- Last but not least is the jumpsuit. There are so many options right now for all body types, which makes this one a personal favorite! I’m especially fond of a simple wrap front one, because 1. It’s a single piece of clothing I have to think about putting on 2. It’s nursing friendly and 3. I feel really put together when wearing one.
Any advice for a fellow female currently going through a style rut?
Keep your look classic, but don’t sacrifice your personality. What you wear shouldn’t be the biggest decision of your day, but it can be a fun one! Keep pieces in your wardrobe that are practical for your season of life and your profession, but don’t be afraid to add that little something extra to your look. As a stay at home mom I can easily stay in a robe all day, and hey, some days I do! But, I feel really productive and ready to take on the day when I’m dressed in an outfit I don’t need to fuss over, but that makes me feel pretty!